Root canal therapy is a treatment that a dentist performs in order to remove infected tissue from the pulp of a tooth. Root canals can treat painful tooth infections and prevent the tooth from being infected in the future. While this is an effective process, it’s an intensive one, and will require a few steps of aftercare, or rest and recovery.
If you visit family dental care in Houston, TX, for a root canal, these are the aftercare steps that dentists recommend.
- First, be aware that it may require more than one appointment. A root canal is intensive and may need to be performed in steps divided into separate appointments and separate days.
- The use of anesthesia protects you from pain during the process of removing tooth pulp tissue, which would be very painful otherwise. Understand that anesthesia may leave you feeling uncomfortable, numb, or even disoriented. Have someone attend the family dental care clinic with you, so they can drive you home and help you get rest.
- Avoid chewing solid food or consuming anything very hot until your mouth is no longer numb.
- Get plenty of rest, and avoid any strenuous activity. Rest is key to healing.
- You may have been given a temporary tooth filling. If a small fragment of it wears away or breaks off in your mouth, you have nothing to worry about. This is common. However, you should call your family dental care office if the entire filling has fallen out.
- Take pain medication as prescribed. Only take the prescribed pain killers, and don’t mix them with alcohol. Try to take pain killers as scheduled on the pill bottle. This helps you stay ahead of the pain, or prevent pain sensations before they arise, rather than try to suppress pain as it occurs.
- You may be given antibiotics. Take them as directed, and never miss a dose. Take them until the prescription is empty. This is very important for preventing post-operative infections.
- Don’t eat any hard or sticky foods, even after the numbness has worn off. Eat a diet of soft foods until your dentist tells you otherwise.
- Continue to brush and floss normally. Brush very softly, especially near the site of the root canal treatment.
- The last step of a root canal treatment plan is the implant of a crown or permanent tooth filling. After the implant or filling procedure, you may be numb again and have to repeat this process until you’ve fully healed.
- Call your family dental care office if you’re having severe pain, swelling, bleeding, or any other unusual reactions to the treatment.
While the post-operative process is extensive, it’s important to follow these steps to recover. If you have any questions about root canal therapy or feel that you may need such a treatment, call Made Ya Smile. They specialize in family dental care in Houston, TX. The experienced dental team at Made Ya Smile will guide you through the process of therapy, recovery, and continued oral health.