Several Methods to Defend Against Dental Decay
Being proactive is essential in the fight to keep cavities, periodontal disease, and various other issues at bay. This is why our staff at Made Ya Smile wants to teach individuals about prevention. In the event that these problems influence your dental wellness, they’re commonly more difficult to treat, costly, and take time to resolve. Proper oral hygiene is the most essential component when it comes to guaranteeing that your mouth remains in tip-top shape. Our Houston, TX staff is excited to provide you with some great tips to help make sure your teeth are healthy, strong, and beautiful for a lifetime.
- Guide your kids. Kids often replicate their parents' actions. In many cases, parents are the first ones to teach kids how to brush their teeth, which is why it’s essential to lead by example. Arranging biannual dental cleanings is another way to teach kids the importance of maintaining good oral habits.
- Swish mouthwash. Mouthwash is important as an extra defense against cavities. Once you have brushed your teeth, you can use mouthwash to help further minimize unwanted oral bacteria and tartar.
- Be attentive. Once you experience the indications of cavities, it’s essential to meet with the dentist for an assessment. Most often, the initial warning sign of tooth decay is constant dental tenderness. You might notice a sharp pain when you consume food or beverages that are hot or cold. As tooth decay worsens, you may have headaches, tooth pain, tooth yellowing, or obvious areas of erosion.
- See your dentist regularly. Routine oral cleanings and assessments are important for not just cleaning your teeth thoroughly but also evaluating the state of your oral structures. Your dental wellness is based on being cognizant of what’s happening inside of your mouth. During your consultation, your enamel will be cleaned and polished. Following this, your dental professional will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth to look for any issues. The earlier the dental problems are diagnosed, the quicker your treatment may take place.
- Chew sugar-free gum. Many individuals aren't aware that sugar-free gum can help ward off cavities. Gum-chewing promotes extra saliva production in the mouth. This is relevant because saliva is the main agent in charge of both offsetting and washing away the acid from things we eat that might eventually wear away your teeth’s enamel, causing cavities.
- Choose tooth-healthy items. The bacteria that lead to cavities are attracted to the sugar in food and liquids. Sugary substances make it easier for decay to develop. It's critical to be aware of the various things you and your kids are eating and drinking. When you consume something that is made from a lot of sugar, it's recommended to brush your teeth immediately.
- Brush frequently. Even though this could sound obvious, brushing your teeth two times a day with dentist-approved toothpaste is a good approach to prevent tooth decay. Try counting mentally while you clean your teeth for at least 120 seconds.
- Think about dental sealants. Tooth sealants are an ideal choice when it comes to avoiding cavities. Sealants are a pliable material placed on the chewing surfaces of the backmost teeth, also called the molars and premolars. Dental sealants might help to lower the patient's susceptibility to decay in these regions because the crevices on your back teeth can trap harmful bacteria and cause them to be more vulnerable to tooth decay.
- Get fluoride treatments for protection. The majority of dentists suggest professional fluoride treatments for children beginning at six years of age until they’re an adult. However, in the event that an adult is prone to ending up with cavities, a fluoride treatment might be incredibly beneficial to their dental wellness. Our skilled dentists in Houston, TX perform fluoride treatments and can recommend a prescription fluoride mouthwash and toothpaste to use in between appointments.
- Flossing is needed. Brushing on its own isn’t adequate in making sure cavities are kept at bay. Flossing is an essential step that many individuals forget about. Flossing reaches areas that toothbrushes can’t and also helps to eliminate particles stuck between the teeth. This simple practice is effective at helping to reduce the risk of decay.
Discover the proper approach to brush your teeth
When it’s time to arrange regular professional cleanings and exams for your loved ones, we urge you to reach out to our general care dentistry practice in Houston, TX for your visit. These essential and preventive appointments will keep tooth decay and other concerns from forming. As an additional advantage, you’ll surely enjoy how clean your teeth look following your biannual dental cleanings. Our highly talented dental practitioners will help you to feel relaxed and review the treatment process step-by-step. Our team can't wait to see you at Made Ya Smile.