All About Preventative Dentistry
The first toothbrush was invented in the year 1938. Although people before this time had creative, homegrown strategies for cleaning their teeth, and dentists had long been practicing in rudimentary settings, the onset of prevention dentistry changed the way we thought about our mouths.
Our mouths are far more than a horseshoe grouping of teeth. We now know the biological environment that lives in our mouths needs tending to on a daily basis, and if left to fend for itself, can cause many painful maladies. Visit advanced general dentistry in Houston, TX, for an initial assessment of your current teeth condition, then make a plan for good oral health.
What Is Prevention Dentistry?
At its most basic, it’s proactive strategies to keep your teeth healthy. This process begins at home.
- Comprehensively brush your teeth twice daily
- Comprehensively floss your teeth at least once daily
- Brush your children’s teeth for them once they turn two
- Encourage your children to “brush” on their own, after you’ve already done it
- Be conscious of the foods you eat and their effect on teeth like: high sugar content and staining properties
- Visit your dentist bi-annually for a cleaning and a thorough assessment of your teeth.
- Consider sealants for children’s teeth to block bacteria, and prevent cavities
- Rinse with a fluoride-based swish
- Do not chew, smoke, or otherwise ingest any drugs or tobacco
Many don’t have dental insurance, therefore forgo even a once-a-year appointment. The cost of emergency care exponentially exceeds the comparatively minimal fee you’ll pay for prevention services. The estimated cost of full mouth replacement is equivalent to a year at a good college. Don’t take any chances with your teeth, visit general practice dentistry in Houston, TX, and know you’ve got health teeth.
What Am I Preventing When I Take Care of My Teeth?
The answer is, everything. Your teeth are the epicenter of a potential chain reaction that can cause, not only mouth related issues, but medical challenges throughout your body. When you seek preventative cleanings at general dentistry in Houston, TX, and are consistent with a daily oral hygiene plan, the primary benefits are avoiding:
- Loss of tooth enamel
- Periodontitis – a serious infection of the gums that, if left untreated, can destroy your jaw bone
This seems like a comforting list of ailments worth avoiding, both for the physical and financial costs they cause. However, there’s more.
Did you know that an unhealthy mouth can cause serious medical issues? When you maintain a healthy mouth, you’re also building added protection from developing conditions such as:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory Diseases
Throughout your daily life, you’re looking for quick, effective solutions to make your life easier. You pre-cook your meals for the week so dinner time isn’t so stressful. You lay out your clothes, both for you and the kids, the night before so the morning can run smoother. Oral care is a quick, simple, effective solution that prevents so many issues before they start. It take less than ten minutes of your day, and two hours a year. It saves you time, money, and literal pain.
Make a new pact with yourself today. Visit general dentistry services in Houston, TX, to see what your dental priorities are, and then commit to good health that starts in your mouth.